It seems strange that I’m actually typing this up as the last of the recent snows finally melts away but snow be damned; it’s officially spring and I’m getting tired of sewing Winter Warmers so let’s talk about … sewing together for Summer!
Myself @sewsarahsmith, Suzy @sewing_in_spain and Monika @rocco.sienna have been putting out little teasers across our Instagram feeds recently and we’re so happy to finally be able to share:
Thinking of sewing a Wrap Dress for Summer? Good, we’ve got you covered!
The #sewtogetherforsummer Instagram Sewing Challenge is back!
2018 brings you a host of pattern and fabric discounts (see below) and a HUGE array of sponsored gifts!
We’re running the Challenge on exactly the same principles as before; again the aim is to encourage sewists of all levels to take part; to share your knowledge with others or taking the opportunity to learn new skills and techniques, i.e. to sewcialise and to make yourself a great wrap dress into the bargain!
The ‘rules’ (for want of a better word) are:
- Pick a wrap dress pattern. That’s any pattern in any fabric (woven or knit). Perhaps you’ve got the pattern or fabric in your stash already or use the discount codes given below to go shopping!
- Follow us on Instagram; that’s myself, Sarah @sewsarahsmith, Monika @rocco.sienna and Suzy @sewing_in_spain to make sure you don’t miss anything as we’ll be sharing hosting responsibilities;
- post your newly sewn dress to Instagram with the hashtag #sewtogetherforsummer Please also tag your post with our three Instagram @ to make sure that no entry gets missed! We want to see every single one!
- before the Closing Date of 21st June 2018
- Thats it!
Participating in the Challenge gives you:
- Discounts on several major Indie wrap dress sewing patterns;
- Fabric discounts;
- the opportunity to potentially share in the huge pile of sponsored sewing gifts! (You can read the full list HERE!) As last year, the lucky recipients will be entirely chosen at random, this is not a competition;
- and by no means least, a beautiful wrap dress!
So why the Wrap Dress?
It’s an iconic and classic garment that’s been reinterpreted again and again; there’s such a diverse and fantastic range of wrap dress sewing patterns out there (and we’ve got loads of pattern and fabric inspo coming your way!) But that doesn’t mean sewing a wrap dress is without its challenges; getting a good fit at the crossover front (or back!), choosing the right style for your shape, potential issues working with knits or fine floaty wovens; doing an FBA/SBA on a Wrap Bodice piece etc … but we can conquer any issues by sewing it together!
So, for the Challenge, what constitutes a wrap dress?
A wrap dress should have a front or back closure formed by wrapping one side over the other and knotting the attached ties or fastening buttons. It should not have a zip. We will also accept faux wrap dresses which cross at the front and are slipped over the head.
We will not accept dresses that cross on the skirt but not the bodice.
Yes, the Kielo counts! In fact we’ve got a discount code for it!
Your Discount Codes: please be mindful of the expiry dates, so you don’t miss out! (Click on the graphics for direct links)
Watch this space – there’s lots planned – see HERE for the details of our Sponsors and the full list of gifts!Helen of Helen’s Closet has picked her top Indie wrap dress patterns, Caroline of Blackbird Fabrics will be discussing fabrics; we’ll be looking at wrap dress patterns from Burda and The Big 4 Pattern houses, sharing resources and running a wrap dress Q&A ‘hints and tips’ session over on Instagram – we’d love your input – so as to collate and share the feedback here.
So, you in? Good, let’s ‘sew together!’
Sewcialise with me on Instagram here x